“Happy employees, Happy customers”. The industry leaders have given a nod to the statement and employers, big or small, have realized that any investment in its employees brings greater returns in terms of customer satisfaction and productivity.
Happy employees bring happy customers
Recently I have attended one seminar wherein the speaker was emphasizing on the importance of Strategy. To decide the correct strategy followed by its implementation is the essence of any company’s success.
Sounds easy and simple right? But it is not. Deciding the correct strategy means not mere the definition of strategy, trying to understand and evaluate and give presentation in front of the management or group. To decide the correct strategy is what to do and what not to do. Creating a strategy is the visualization. Carol Kinsey Goman, an executive coach, author, and keynote speaker writes in article for the Reliable Plant that Visualisation is a team sport. It will help create a shared purpose and vision and when the exercise includes all employees, it will include the likelihood that they will enthusiastically buy in.
Once the strategy is decided i.e. why this organization is persistent, the next question is how? The roadmap should be prepared which provides guidelines, goals, timeliness, individual goals and responsibilities etc. Hence, it is necessary to create a collaborative culture, accelerate the leadership development for better profitability etc. Let’s see how we can do this:-
- Trust is the bedrock of a collaborative culture. So assess the level of trust amongst the employees through employee survey, identify the level of trust which includes respect-the organization stand and areas of improvements
- After assessing the trust level entrenched the effective communication. It is necessary to cascade it down to the bottom line staff so that organizational drive can be accelerated towards its goal. Let every employee be on the same page of strategy. Vision, Mission, purpose, roles and responsibilities i.e. should be shared at all levels.
- Encourage people to contribute their ideas, views about strategy and process. Research says when people have a voice that they are contributing to the organization’s strategy, they understand the purpose and these purpose and belief leads to high levels of engagement.
- Offer trainings based on need analysis for professional development of employees. Every employee must possess necessary skills required to perform job.
- For an organization to become truly profitable, metrics should be aligned among various functions of the business. For eg fair performance based bonus at all levels.
No doubt in this process, senior leaders/Management plays a lion’s role. It is necessary to re-invigorate the employee engagement process. It can help, retain and motivate employees, increase to bring new product and services in to the market faster, increase customer’s satisfaction and loyalty, improve organization’s bottom line. Since, more engagement and empowerment activities lowers the stress amongst the employees, it helps to make better work environment overall.